Hope Starts Here Scholarship
Scholarship Application Status
The 2021 Hope Starts Here Scholarship application cycle is now open!Applications must be emailed or postmarked by May 1, 2021.
If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected] or call 603-641-9441 x 202.
Bank of New Hampshire
Bank of New Hampshire has partnered with the NH Coalition to End Homelessness to match donations made to the scholarship fund! The fund is supported by people like you, so please consider making a gift to the fund today and double your impact with Bank of New Hampshire. Click here to donate today!
The NH Coalition to End Homelessness Hope Starts Here Scholarship Fund provides financial support to students currently living in NH who have experienced homelessness during their school career, have a desire to continue their education beyond high school, and have demonstrated academic achievement. Since 2009, the fund has helped homeless students achieve their dream of attaining higher education.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicant must be under the age of 21 prior to the scholarship due date;
- Applicant must be residing in NH at the time of applying for the scholarship;
- Applicant must be actively pursuing post-secondary education;
- Applicant must be homeless or have been homeless at any time during their school attendance. Parameters on homeless status are defined by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Act (see below).
According to the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Act, a person is considered homeless who “lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate night-time residence.” This includes people living in shelters, cars, motels/hotels, campgrounds, or places not meant for human habitation. The definition includes children and youth who are living with friends or relatives temporarily (doubled-up or sharing the housing of others) because they lack permanent housing.
How may the scholarship be used?
The scholarship can be used to help defray the costs of college or a post-secondary vocational training program.
What are the scholarship deadlines?
Applications for the scholarship are accepted at the beginning of each year. Notification of awards will be sent out by August 31st.
How do I apply?
Check the “Scholarship Application Status” window near the top of this page to download the application. Please read the instructions and complete the application. Applications may be submitted online by emailing your completed application to [email protected] , or applications may be mailed to:
NH Coalition to End Homelessness
122 Market Street
Manchester, NH 03101
Due to the challenges of collecting all the supplemental materials t be submitted at once, applications and materials may be submitted separately (re: students may send in their applications and request schools and other references to send their letters directly to NHCEH). All materials must be received (or postmarked by May 1st). If a students is having difficulty getting any materials please reach out to [email protected]
How can I help?
By supporting the scholarship fund, you will help some of NH’s most exceptional students acquire the tools they need to reach beyond homelessness and become successful young leaders. Make a donation today!
You can also help us inform eligible students about this scholarship by spreading the word. We’ve provided a few easy ways that you can help us get the word out:
- Display our flyer (8.5″ x 11″) in your office, school, or other highly visible area. We’ll even print out copies of the flyer and send them to you – just ask us how many you need and where to send them.
- Make the Hope Starts Here Scholarship applications readily available for your students or clients to take.
- Spread the word on social media. Share or retweet one of our posts on the scholarship, or post something of your own.