Dodgeball 101 Series: From Offense to Defense
Dodgeball is played at varying pace – at times the game progresses slowly, with teams analyzing their opponents, and at other times the game moves very rapidly, with multiple folks being eliminated or getting back in within a short time period. You can use the pace of the game to counter your opponents – meaning, you can surprise your opponent by quickly shifting from offense to defense, or vice versa. Here are a few tips to do so:
- One ball. – In most cases, you only want to counter when you have one ball on your side. Throwing multiple balls at a single target is almost always preferable.
- Speedy. – The quicker you are with your counter, the more caught off-guard your opponent will be.
- Surprise your opponent. –Try to sprinkle in some surprises for your opponent. For instance, an underarm throw is not to be underestimated. Your opponent won’t be expecting it and it leaves you less exposed to a hit than an overhanded throw.
- Counters work great just after an elimination. – This goes for both offense and defense. If you have just had a teammate eliminated, the other team may be celebrating, which is the perfect time to go on the offensive. On the flip side, if you have just eliminated an opponent, your opponent’s team may be watching them leave the court and not staying aware defensively.
- Fake a throw. – Faking a throw will put doubt into the minds of your opposition. This can be used to get them to leap, to recover formation in your team, or to run down the clock. Faking throws can give you valuable information about how your opponent reacts to different scenarios.
- If you aren’t the target, gather up the balls. – You can’t counter without any balls. If all the balls have been fired at your team, but not at you, try and recover some of them. With all the balls thrown, you won’t be a target and may secure most of the balls for your team.
Waiver Forms! In order to compete in the tournament, you must send in a signed waiver form. Don’t have a copy? You can get it by clicking here. You can mail it to 122 Market Street, Manchester, NH 03101. You can also scan and email it to [email protected].
Get your friends and family to cheer you on! Make sure your friends and family save the date for the statewide tournament so they can attend and cheer you and your teammates on. Admission is $5 for adults, $3 for students, and free for kids 12 and under and is sold at the door (cash and credit cards are accepted).
The dodgeball tournament is on Facebook too! Join the event page and let the other teams know who’s going to take home the trophy!